Boston Networks connect Glasgow 2014 XX Commonwealth Games
As Official Cabling Services Integrator, Boston Networks has designed a high performing cabling system for the 2014 Commonwealth Games to deliver seamless flows of communication and event critical connectivity for the duration of this prolific sporting event.
Boston Networks has designed, deployed and will maintain, during Games Time, a highly robust and high performing data, voice and TV infrastructure throughout all competition and non-competition Games venues, to transmit a multitude of technologies to empower:
- The Games Workforce and Security Officials – To support the secure and seamless transmission of data, voice and IP telephony
- Athletes and Officials – To grant access to competition schedules, updates and results.
- The Host Broadcaster – To feedback real time camera footage to the International Broadcast Centre. The dedicated, highly resilient cabling infrastructure will play a critical role in the transmission of the Host Broadcasters footage, to a potential world-wide audience of more than one billion people.
- Sports Commentators – The Games TVS will provide video feeds throughout key venues and distribute live video from the Host Broadcaster to each of the commentary positions throughout all of the competition venues.
- Media and Press – supporting the transmission of rapid news feeds and updates from all competition venues.
Encompassing 3 exclusive networks, the infrastructure encompasses over 110,000m of structured and fibre optic cabling and has required over 34,000 hours of engineering expertise to deliver.
In addition to the 2014 teams, the planning, implementation and integration of the various Cabling Systems will be relied upon heavily by a wide range of key stakeholders, whom Boston Networks will work closely alongside for the duration of the Games, including:
- Technology Systems Integrator
- Telecommunications Partner
- Host Broadcaster
- Large Video Display Contractor
- Results, Timing and Scoring Integrator
Scott McEwan, Chief Executive, Boston Networks states:
‘As Glasgow prepares to welcome the Commonwealth’s greatest athletes and up to a billion viewers from around the world this evening, all eyes are on the city.
Having worked with the Glasgow 2014 team for over 18 months, its great to feel the pride and anticipation in the city and see all the preparations accumulate for what is set to be a spectacular Opening Ceremony tonight and a fantastic 11 days of sporting competition and festivals in Glasgow.
To guarantee unsurpassed network performance, for one of the largest sporting events in the world, Boston Networks has delivered a world class communications infrastructure on behalf of Glasgow 2014 and is proud to be connecting the Games. Enjoy the Games.’