Seamless flows of communication and event critical connectivity for Glasgow 2014
At one time the world's largest stadium, Glasgow’s famous Hampden Park will play host to the Track and Field Athletics competitions and the XX Commonwealth Games Closing Ceremony.
Hampden has undergone a huge transformation for Glasgow 2014 – the playing surface has been raised by 1.9 metres to transform the stadium from a football venue into an international-standard Track and Field facility. A warm-up track and jump areas have been created next to the stadium at Lesser Hampden, with secure, direct access from this site into the main stadium.
Boston Networks at Hampden Park
As the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Official Cabling Services Provider, Boston Networks has designed, deployed and will maintain, during Games Time, a highly robust and high performing data, voice and TV infrastructure throughout the Hampden Park and all other competition and non-competition Games venues.
Comprising 2 exclusive networks, Boston Networks cabling infrastructure will deliver the capability to transmit a multitude of technologies to empower the Games workforce, the athletes, the Host Broadcaster, sports commentators and the press at Hampden Park.
Games Data Network for Competition and Logistics
Boston Networks has designed and delivered a robust cabling infrastructure backbone, utilising single and multi-mode fibre optic cabling. The resilient backbone will support the Games data & voice network connecting the key venue operational area
The Games data & voice network will be utilised by the Games workforce, security officials and the world’s media, to support the secure and seamless transmission of data, voice and IP telephony.
In addition cabling systems will also be installed across the competition areas, to support technologies such as PSTN, ISDN and ADSL, supporting the transmission of rapid news feeds, which are critical to the hundreds of media that will operate from the at Hampden Park press centre.
Games Television System
Boston Networks has also designed a dedicated Games Television System (Games TVS), using leading edge IPTV technology, to seamlessly transmit footage from the Host Broadcaster throughout at Hampden Park and all other competition and selected non-competition venues.
Additionally, the Games TVS will distribute live video from the Host Broadcaster to each of the commentary positions throughout all of the competition venues.
All the technical and operational planning of the Games TVS will be delivered by Boston Networks on behalf of Glasgow 2014, including:
- The supply of the Games TVS equipment and associated services in accordance with the defined requirements of Glasgow 2014.
- Full testing and commissioning of the Games TVS to ensure full integration and operation throughout all competition and selected non-competition venues.
- An enhanced operational and technical support service for pre-Games and Games time periods.
Games Time Support
Boston Networks will provide on-going support and maintenance for all cabling and Games TVS equipment throughout supply, installation, commissioning and testing stages of the Games, throughout Hampden Parkand other competition and non-competition venues.
The level and extent of support will vary depending on the operational timeframes and requirements of each Venue, however it will be 24/7 and omnipresent for the duration of Games time.
The Boston Networks project and technical support team will be managed from the TOC, which will be the main Games Technology operations, monitoring and control centre for all information technology and communication systems provided for the Games.
In addition to the provision of technical support, Boston Networks will provide overarching service arrangements, ensuring that all operations are being appropriately managed and supported, as well as providing incident resolution and escalation mechanisms for the Games.
Boston Networks connect Glasgow 2014 XX Commonwealth Games
As Official Cabling Services Provider the Boston Networks infrastructure, encompassing 3 exclusive networks, will deliver the capability to transmit a multitude of technologies to empower:
- The Games workforce and Security Officials - To support the secure and seamless transmission of data, voice and IP telephony
- Athletes and Officials – To grant access to competition schedules, updates and results.
- The Host Broadcaster - Feedback real time camera footage to the International Broadcast Centre. The dedicated, highly resilient cabling infrastructure will play a critical role in the transmission of the Host Broadcasters footage, to a potential world-wide audience of more than one billion people.
- Sports commentators - The Games TVS will provide video feeds throughout key venues and distribute live video from the Host Broadcaster to each of the commentary positions throughout all of the competition venues.
- Media and Press - supporting the transmission of rapid news feeds and updates from all competition venues.
Dedicated Network Infrastructures